Experiencing numbness or tingling in your hands after long hours at your keyboard? You could be suffering from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS), a condition caused by chronic pressure on your wrists and the underlying median nerves. CTS has been linked to daily keyboard use and improperly arranged workstations, which increase the pressure on your wrists and cause swelling and damage to the nerves.
- Loss of feeling in fingers
- Numbness, tingling or burning sensation in the fingers or hand
- Pain extending from the wrist to the shoulder or from the wrists into the palms
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is an increasing problem in today’s computer-centered workplaces and homes, as over 5 million Americans have already been diagnosed with CTS. Acupuncture can help you manage or alleviate the swelling that causes CTS pain and discomfort. Used in conjunction with Western treatments, such as anti-inflammatory drugs, acupuncture for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is particularly effective for relieving pain and improving your day-to-day functioning with CTS. Your acupuncturist will be able to create an individualized plan that is a safe, natural way to treat Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
In addition, you can take other natural steps to improve your wrist health:
- Take regular breaks from typing during the workday
- Make sure that you have an ergonomic keyboard and wrist pads
- Stretch your arms and wrists several times a day
- Try yoga to increase your flexibility and strength in your upper body
Acupuncture can also address the conditions linked to CTS, including headaches, tension in the shoulders and neck, and stress, without any debilitating side effects or drug interactions. If you are experiencing CTS pain, acupuncture may be able to improve your whole-body health and wellness.